Friday, January 30, 2009

DAISY Pipeline Software Provides Free Text to Mp3 Conversion

"I have a university class starting next week and have scanned my textbook into Word and used the "Save As DAISY " plug in to convert it all. I can't seem to figure out what to do from there to get it finished. Can you help me?"
I had this question from the UK this week (I am paraphrasing it a little). The question came from a student with Dyslexia who is not able to qualify for the files she needs and needed to get this text converted ASAP.
I had done a series of posts last June '08 on Converting Text with DAISY where some great advice was shared by DAISY Consortium developer Romain Deltour. I had meant to use his information to do a tutorial with steps for this process and never got around to it. Now with this question, I had a reason to get something organized, written and available.
I would like to get it perfected as a more visual tutorial and maybe a video one down the road, but for now, I have created a free pdf with links to the tool downloads and the steps start to finish from the Word text to an Mp3, wav or DTB 2.02 file that will play in DTB players and on Windows Media Player, iTunes, Quicktime Player, etc.
You can access the tutorial on my NL2L website at the bottom of the Training page at this link.
Here is also a helpful link to DAISY Consortium with all their conversion tools.

Don't Forget!
"Romancing the Phone" Courting and romance sparked a new phone speech assistant for the speech impaired - a visit with Jay and Melissa Blocksom. Tonight, Friday, January 30 at 7 PM Pacific. Blog Talk Radio/No Limits 2 Learning Live!

AT Blog Carnival for February - call for submissions on "perfect pairings" of AT.
Deadline for submissions is Friday, Feb 20. The carnival will post on Monday, Feb. 23.

All the best to you!

Lon


Digg!

Bookmark this on Delicious

2 comments:

irasocol said...

This is really important. Having WYNN and Text-Help, I'm constantly converting to MP3, but, of course, that's costly software. So free solutions (especially those outside of slow and somewhat limited free website conversions) are vital.

Just a question (I should look, but...) is there anything on the Access Apps USB suite that solves this?

Lon said...

I need to download Access Apps on a jump and check it out thoroughly. There are some great things there and I love the idea of it. I am going to commit to answering your question this week. If anyone has input on Access Apps, chime in.
I will do a post with all the info about where to download, what is there, etc. this week for those who don't know about it.
Thanks Ira!