Saturday, July 12, 2008

Creature Discomforts Creates Awareness of Disability Issues



It is sometimes difficult to find a way to inform folks about the disability issues that effect day to day life for millions of people with various visible and invisible disabilities. I know that in my own life, other adults poke fun at me and make jokes about my confusion or lack of response speed not realizing that it is due to my own TBI issues from a stroke almost 2 years ago. I am not in a wheelchair and I do not have slurred speech or any visible sign that would alert someone to the fact that there is a real reason why I do what I do. I don't let it bother me, but my situation is a small one in a sea of millions around the world happening everyday.
Leonard Cheshire Disability, a UK-based company, has shared an innovative and entertaining way to create public awareness of various disability issues, including "invisible disabilities."
Creature Discomforts, takes real audio interviews of folks with disabilities and matches them with "claymation -type" creatures and puts them in a commercial/public awareness format.
The Creature Discomfort site has the videos to view as well as a forum and blog.
I plan to spend some time viewing more videos and hope you can find some time to check them out. Some of these videos would be a great resource to do an activity in the classroom to stimulate discussion on tolerance and acceptance.
All the best to you!
Lon

No comments: